a few weeks ago, i wrote a post about my dedication to being a miserly wife. but there’s much more that i know i can do to be a godly woman and wife.
my friend paige and i are taking it one month at a time.
here’s the line-up for me:
to me, this basically means i want to exercise general self-discipline in the following areas:
- time alone with God
- active, bold prayer
- tv watching
- spending money
- memorizing scripture
some ideas for this month:
- creating a friendly environment within my home
- loving my home by keeping it clean and user friendly
- inviting people over (i have not done this in a loooong time)
- challenging myself to spend more time with people then i “feel like”
- (maybe) starting a woman’s group on saturday mornings-still praying about this but are their any takers? just out of curiosity?
september: taking the sabbath seriously
i’m still not entirely sure how i feel about this one. paige and i talked about it a little and i definitely agree i need to work on this area of my life but i’m still trying to figure out what exactly the sabbath needs to look like in my life. sometimes i call the days i spend watching tv with bryan all day “my sabbath”, but i don’t think that’s exactly what God’s getting at. then i got the idea that my sabbath is actually the day i get the most stuff done as far as preparing for the week goes, but i’m not sure that’s it either. i’ll take any comments you’ll give.
not sure if this is the right word, but basically i want to “deal with today’s problems today.” and have a life that is somewhat predictable and efficient. ok, so that sounds incredibly boring when i put it like that. but i want to “streamline” my home so that things don’t get so piled up. i want to have systems in place for the laundry, the mail, meal times, and things like that. i feel that this will both honor my husband and keep me from going crazy.
i’m not sure about the next 8 months (we’re trying to do this for a year) but i’ll keep you posted.
so how am i doing?
july update: purposefulness
- time alone with God: definitely been particularly discplined in this area. last week, i spent time with God 5 out of seven days and this week i’m 4-0, ready to finish out strong with 7 out of 7. this is not to boast, but to rejoice. june was a “good” month when i spent time with him about 6 times total.
- active, bold prayer: i’ve seen God work in a few awesome ways. another positive result of solid prayer time: i find myself actively encouraging others according to the leadership of the Holy Spirit-something i haven’t been in the habit of for at least 4 years.
- cleaning: overall, not the best but i am more determined at tidying up after myself and husband. i’ll work on that more in august! : )
- tv watching: also a work in progress, but their have been some significant improvements such as not turning on the tv as soon as i get home from work.
- spending money: i actually just added this to the list because i realized that i’m not very purposeful with the money i have to spend. sure, i have stayed within budget, but i’m not sure where all the money is going. i have yet to come in under budget and would like to work towards that.
- memorizing scripture: paige and i have almost 2 1/2 chapters of galatians memorized! my challenge will be to begin memorizing before the night before i have to say it to paige.
- facebook: no improvement. work in progress?